I can fly

Posted On 10:26 PM by nerdluck |

Exercise on motion freeze... need more practice on getting the right focal distance, though. Major thanks to James (James, right?) for that mad ollie.

But the real purpose of today's post is to talk about shooting complete strangers. For me, it's a non-debate whether I should randomly shoot anyone in public and publish their photo. Other photographers may argue otherwise but that is not an option for me. Now, the problem was I had some reservations about approaching other people because I have very poor first impression ratings. My wifey said I have this "aura" that makes me seem "disagreeable" and "unpleasant" at first. I cannot say I disagree about this assessment. What I do now is I "acclimatize" the subject to my presence and keep the camera in their view to let them get used to the camera being there. For this purpose, try walking around the area without shooting. I also try to engage the subject in some small talk but sometimes it gets awkward when you can't find a common ground to talk about or sometimes it goes on and on and on... but that is for another post entirely.

What do you do to make your subject (complete stranger) comfortable about letting you shoot them?
I'm reading: I can flyTweet this!
1 Response to 'I can fly'
  1. petrufied
    http://nerdluck.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-can-fly.html?showComment=1229575080000#c2509477168021086051'> 12:38 PM

    haha! nice! and you got him to jump for you too! XD

     

Post a Comment